The benefits of taking a mental health day
In the previous blog, we discussed 3 reasons why it may be a good idea to take a mental health day. Our mental health is one of our most vital responsibilities, and it is important that we regularly check in with ourselves to ensure that we are feeling nourished, supported, and cared for in this area.
Today, I will share the benefits of giving yourself the gift of a mental health day, in the hopes that it will inspire you to honor your needs, advocate for your own health, and find the necessary support.
Read on to explore the benefits of taking a mental health day:
- First and foremost, taking a mental health day allows you to take a break from the demands of work, school, and other people. Taking a step back in this way will allow you plenty of time to focus on yourself and recharge in whatever way feels most nourishing.
- Mental Health days allow you to focus solely on your mental and emotional well-being. I believe that these aspects of our health are worthy of attention and care daily, however, life can be busy and full of responsibilities, and sometimes, self care gets neglected. Allow your mental health day to be a time where you lavish in honoring your needs, celebrating yourself, and resting as much as possible.
- Rather than diminishing your productivity by taking time off for a mental health day, mental health days are actually proven to improve focus, productivity, and overall well being. Not so surprising, though, is it? When we allow time for ourselves to recharge, we are then more capable of pouring from a full cup, rather than an empty one.
- Mental health days help to establish a healthy sense of work-life balance. You were not born to work day after day. You were born to live a balanced, healthy, and harmonious life. Understand that it is your responsibility to stand up for yourself in your work life to establish strong boundaries with work/life balance. Mental health days are wonderful ways to restore balance when it has been lost, and days like this will help remind you of the value of balancing how much energy you give, and how much you receive.
- Mental health days can help to alleviate symptoms of anxiety and depression. Oftentimes, experiences of anxiety and depression can become exacerbated by overwhelm and burn out in the workplace. Your mental health day becomes necessary when this is your experience. In your rest time, make sure to focus on things that help to restore a sense of calm, ease, and peace within your life. You deserve this!
These are just a few of the amazing benefits that can come from taking a mental health day. Always remember that mental health is a priority, and it is up to you to advocate for yourself, set boundaries, and honor your needs.
You are worthy of balance, support, and care.